No offence, but there are a lot of users who still count on their Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250. Nonetheless, the manufacturer has already left the support for this device and can’t come up with any further updates. But the amazing thing is that there are developers who cares about this old Nexus smartphone and so they are coming up with regular OS updates.
Earlier, the developers have successfully managed to port Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Galaxy Nexus I9250 and now they are back with a Lollipop version too. Yes, it’s absolutely true that Galaxy Nexus receives a Lollipop build via CyanogenMod 12 Custom ROM. So, those users who were eagerly waiting to get the lollipop taste on their Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 can get it today itself.
Note: The CyanogenMod 12 ROM is still in beta stage so you might be face bugs; but no doubt, you can definitely go with this ROM as a daily driver.
Things To Check:
- Get the latest Google USB drivers.
- Ensure that you have enabled USB debugging on your device.
- Make sure you have taken the backup of your current ROM.
- The device should be rooted and CWM/TWRP Recovery installed on it.
Steps To Update Galaxy Nexus to Lollipop via CyanogenMod 12 ROM
1. Download the above files on your Computer and after that copy them in to your Galaxy Nexus root directory.
2. Boot your Galaxy Nexus to CWM/TWRP Recovery mode. To do so:
- Press and hold “Volume down + Up + Power buttons” together for a few seconds.
- From the bootloader menu, choose “Recovery” and press “Power Button” once again to get into recovery mode.
Tip: Use the Volume keys to move up/down and the Power key to select a highlighted item.
3. In the Recovery Mode, you have to completely wipe the data by choosing the “wipe data/factory reset” option
Then perform complete cache wipe by choosing “advanced” options in the CWM Recovery mode and then navigate to “Wipe Dalvik Cache”.
4. Now, return back to the Recovery main menu and choose ‘install zip from SD card’ and give a path to downloaded “CM12 ROM” file.
Wait for the ROM installation to complete. Similarly, follow this step to flash Gapps.
5. Now, wait for a few minutes for the installation process to complete. If it is completed, then again go to the Recovery main menu and from there choose ‘Reboot Now’.
6. As this is the first time, you are starting the device after installing ROM, so wait for a few minutes to initialize all the services and applications.
Voila! You are now running Android 5.0 Lollipop on none other than Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 smartphone. Start enjoying all the new features and materialistic effect on it! Enjoy and leave your thoughts and queries in the comments below 😀