Nvdia Shield Tablet. A niche device some would say. Focused mainly on content creators, entertainers and gamers, this latest offering from Nvdia combines two of the finest hardware and software combinations available in the market. Running under the hood is a powerful Tegra K1 chipset while Google’s stock Android with a few select Tegra tweaks, run the show on the software side! Now there are some decided advantages to running stock android. One of the foremost among them is fast and snappy Android upgrades. And true to their word, Nvdia has released their official update for the Nvdia shield. Now while you can obviously wait for the OTA, we know that many of you are impatient and for those of you, we have the perfect solution! Below we have the download links to the captured OTA along with root guides and how to install a custom recovery on the latest update! So what are you waiting for? Let’s dive right in!
- You must hare a custom recovery installed, preferably TWRP.
- Your Shield tablet must be rooted.
- You must have more than 80% charge on your tablet.
- You can find the ROM for the WiFi Version of the tablet from here
- The LTE ROM can be downloaded from here.
Reboot into recovery.
Backup your current ROM from your custom recovery.
Do a complete wipe, data and cache.
Navigate to your SD Card and select the ROM zip file. Flash the ROM. (For your convenience we advise that you keep the zip file at the root of your SD card)
Reboot. The first boot will take longer than others so don’t panic.
How to root the tablet in Android 5.1.1?
A: Before you reboot flash this from TWRP to gain root!
How to gain your custom recovery back?
- Download and install Flashify on your NVIDIA Shield or Shield Tablet.
- Download the recovery.img file on your device. Here’s TWRP image
- Now open Flashify on your Shield or Shield Tablet.
- Tap on “Recovery Image > Choose a File > Locate the downloaded recovery.img file > flash it”.
- That’s all! it will quickly flash the recovery and you’re done.
That’s all from us for today! Hope you enjoy the latest version of Android on your Nvdia Shield! If you have any comments questions or queries about this procedure, feel free to leave a line below. We would be happy to help you out!