The Android One handsets have been in the limelight recently for receiving the Lollipop update! But some ay find the official update from Google just too bland for their liking. However the fact that makes Android so special is that we can make Android exactly as we want! Which means that now you can install a Custom ROM, in this instance the Cyanogen Mod 12.1 nightlies, and get an experience that is close to stock yet not quite! For starters we have a theme engine and there are loads of other customization to boot! So eager to get into the flashing game? Hop on! We are going in!
- Your Android One handset must be rooted with it’s boot loader unlocked.
- You must have a custom recovery installed, like TWRP or CWM. You cab find a detailed article pertaining to that in this link.
- Your phone must be charged over 80%.
- Some common sense and ability to follow instructions.
With that done, let’s get this show on the road.
Boot into custom recovery. You can do this by
- Switch off phone
- Press Power button+Volume Up simultaneously
- Select Recovery mode in options (read instructions at the top of screen to select recovery option)
- Wait for OEM logo and then a Dead Android with exclaimation mark and “No Command” written below it.
- Now hold Power then tap Volume up (follow the order properly) and leave it. Congratulations! You have now sucessfully booted into the stock recovery.
Backup your current ROM from your custom recovery.
Do a complete wipe, data and cache.
Navigate to your SD Card and select the ROM zip file. Flash the ROM. (For your convenience we advise that you keep the zip file at the root of your SD card)
If you’re so inclined, flash the GAPPs package.
Reboot. The first boot will take longer than others so don’t panic.
Root : From CM 12 root permissions can be enable by going into settings>developer settings.
Congratulations you have CM 12.1 nightlies running on your Android One handset. If you are the sort who updates daily, please remember to take a backup before flashing the latest nightly either from recovery or via OTA.
Known CM bug:
If you insert only 1 SIM, Settings–>Mobile Networks will Force Close.
If you have any questions, comments or insights about the Official CM 12 nightlies that have been rolling out, leave them in the comments below. We are always looking for a riveting discussion.