Google announced Android M at Google I/O on May 28, 2015, Android “M” will focus primarily on incremental improvements and other feature additions. A preview build was also released for Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 9 and Nexus Player. One of the main benefit of using Nexus devices is that you get Android updates fast than any other smartphone vendor. The Nexus device come with Stock Android so that don’t need any change like other smartphones do by installing apps and changing UI. The Nexus device are popular for their high-end specs at reasonable price and fast performance using Stock Android. You can update your Nexus device to Android M with OTA, if you didn’t received any update till now then don’t worry you can flash it manually by following our this guide. The Android M come with lots of new features and provides native support for fingerprint recognition, allowing the use of fingerprints for unlocking devices and authenticating Play Store and Android Pay purchases. If you want to root your device and install custom recovery in it, then you’re at right place. Follow this guide step by step without skipping anything and you’ll be able to root your Nexus device.
- This method is only for Nexus 6 on Android M. If you need help related to any other device mention in comment section.
- Make sure bootloader of your device unlocked.
- Backup all your important data.
- Make sure your device is fully charged.
- Download and Install USB Drivers for Nexus 6 in your PC.
- Enable USB Debugging in your device.
How To Install TWRP In Nexus 6
- Make you follow all the instructions written above for safe recovery flashing and rooting.
- Download ADB & Fastboot zip file and TWRP Recovery image file in your PC. Extract the ADB & Fastboot zip file in a folder and also move the TWRP Recovery image file in the same folder.
- Boot your Nexus 6 in bootloader mode. To do this Turn off your device then Hold Volume Up Key + Volume Down Key and then press the Power button.
- Connect your device to PC using data cable.
- Open command window in the folder where you extracted ADB & Fastboot files. For this “Shift + Right click” on any empty white space inside the folder and select “Open command window here” from the context menu.
- Now enter the following command in CMD and hit enter button.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
That’s it! TWRP Custom Recovery is successfully installed in your device.
How To Root Nexus 6
- You cannot root without custom recovery, so make sure that TWRP custom recovery is installed in your device.
- Download Despair Kernel and SuperSU zip file in your Nexus device.
- Now boot your phone in recovery mode. Power off your device first then press and hold volume up + volume down + power button together until you see anything on screen. Now phone is in fastboot mode, from here press volume down two times to reach recovery option, and then press the power button to select it and boot into recovery mode.
- Now you’re in Recovery mode, tap on Install and select the kernel file first. In next screen “Swipe to confirm flash” and complete the flashing process.
- Now after flashing Kernel file, flash the SuperSU zip file in the same way.
- After flashing SuperSU zip file, go to main menu of recovery select Reboot and then select System.
- Your Nexus 6 will reboot now.
That’s it!! Congrats your Nexus 6 is successfully rooted now.