Nexus 5 is one of the most popular smartphones in the world without any doubt. The device is packed with high-end specifications and comes at a reasonable price. One of the main reason people buy Nexus series smartphones is the instant updates from Google. The device is based on stock Android and it receive new updates faster than any other device. Google announced Android M, last week of May and its already available for Nexus series smartphone. You can update your device via OTA or you can follow our guide to manually update your Nexus device to Android M. After updating your device, if you want to root and flash custom recovery in it then you’re at right place. In this tutorial, we’ll guide you about how flash custom recovery using ADB & Fastboot and then root your device using TWRP Custom Recovery. The guide is little tough so follow carefully and step by step without skipping anything.
- This method is only for Nexus 5 on Android M. If you need help related to any other device mention in comment section.
- Make sure bootloader of your device unlocked.
- Backup all your important data.
- Make sure your device is fully charged.
- Download and Install USB Drivers for Nexus 5 in your PC.
- Enable USB Debugging in your device.
How To Install TWRP Custom Recovery In Nexus 5
- Download ADB & Fastboot zip file and TWRP Recovery image file in your PC. Extract the ADB & Fastboot zip file in a folder and also transfer TWRP Recovery image file in the same folder.
- Turn off your device then Hold Volume Up Key + Volume Down Key and then press the Power button to boot your device in to bootloader mode.
- Connect your device to PC using data cable.
- Open command window in the folder where you extracted ADB & Fastboot files. For this “Shift + Right click” on any empty white space inside the folder and select “Open command window here” from the context menu.
- Now enter the following command in CMD and hit enter button.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
TWRP Custom Recovery is successfully installed in your device, now will root your Nexus 5 using custom recovery.
How To Root Nexus 5
- You cannot directly root your Nexus 5 without flashing custom recovery into it first.
- Download Despair Kernel and SuperSU zip file in your Nexus device.
- Power off your device first then press and hold volume up + volume down + power button together until you see anything on screen. Now phone is in fastboot mode, from here press volume down two times to reach recovery option, and then press the power button to select it and boot into recovery mode.
- Now you’re in Recovery mode, tap on Install and select the kernel file first. In next screen “Swipe to confirm flash” and complete the flashing process.
- Now after flashing Kernel file, flash the SuperSU zip file in the same way.
- After flashing SuperSU zip file, go to main menu of recovery select Reboot and then selectSystem.
- Your Nexus 5 will reboot now.
That’s it!! Your Nexus 5 is successfully rooted now and TWRP recovery is successfully flashed.