This is the Moto E.And this how you root Moto E. But before we jump into the nitty gritty of the process, let’s take a quick look at the specs this pocket dynamite has to offer:
- Display: 540*960 IPS LCD stretched over 4.3 inch of real estate
- Processor: Dual core Qualcom Snapdragon 200
- Memory: 1GB RAM and 4GB Iternal memory
- Primary Camera: 5mp Fixed Focus no LED Flash
- Front Camera: None
- SD Card support: Yes
- OS: Kitkat 4.4.2(upgradable to 4.4.4)
Check the review of the Moto E out below:
Impressed? You can buy the Moto E exclusively in India from Flipkart.
A few Words of Wisdom from this weathered warhorse before we embark on this journey. We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. [CyanogenMod]
As is with most International manufacturers, Motorola also locks their bootloaders. While it means nothing to the simple users, to the power users like us, it is a hurdle in the path to total control of our device. so first, we’ll tackle with that and unlock ourselves from the bootloader menace.
- Android SDK or Minimal ADB
- Motorola USB drivers
[Mirror link for Motorola drivers]
Now that we are done with that, let’s move on to the actual process
- Backup the data of your device.
- Install the Android SDK, Click this link for instructions
- Install Motorola Drivers
- Put your Moto E in fastboot mode (power off, then press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously).
- Open Command Prompt on androidsdk/platform-tools/ (Hold Shift and right click and press open command window here)
- Connect phone to PC
- Type this in the CMD prompt window
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- You will get a return string. Copy it. [Right Click-Mark- Mark the text by pressing the shift key-Now press Ctrl+C]
- Now paste all the lines together in a notepad removing the empty spaces.
- Go to this link
- Sign in using your Google account or Motorola ID. Scroll down the page and paste the copied string in the field at step #6. Then click on ‘Can my device be unlocked?’, after which a “REQUEST UNLOCK KEY” button will appear at the bottom of page.
- To get your unlock key, select the ‘I Agree’ option. Note: You will receive an email with your Unlock Key at the email address you used to log in there.
- Important – Copy the 20-character key that Motorola sent you via email. Make sure your device is connected.
- Then in CMD type: fastboot devices (To check your device is connected)
- Then type:
fastboot oem unlock UNIQUE_KEY
NOTE: In above command, replace the word ‘UNIQUE_KEY’ with the unlock code that you got via email. Then hit enter and the unlocking process should begin. Wait for a while and soon you’ll see ‘Bootloader Unlocked’ warning on your Moto E.
And there you have it you have unlocked your Bootloader!! Congratulations.
Now that we have unlocked the Bootloader, let’s get into some serious action.
Here is how to achieve root and recovery with one click of a bat file!!
- Download the Moto E Auto Root tool
extract the tool to your desktop
- Turn on usb debugging mode on the device
- Run the Moto E auto root.bat file
- Then just select what you want to do
Root your Moto E
Flash TWRP Recovery
Flash Stock Android Recovery.
Select root then TWRP recovery and you’re done.
Bada Bing Bada Boom!!
So now that you are rooted and have a custom recovery installed, ROMS await you. Leave a comment below if you need any help or just say thanks. Also if you have an ROM requests for the moto e leave them down below.
If you want to look at the other Moto e competitor that is the Micromax Unite 2 click here