After some really bad years and losing more than $4 billion between 2007-2009, nobody can forget the come back the Motorola. Where device like Moto E and Moto G increased Motorola’s share in smartphone markets of developing countries, Moto X collected lots of appreciation from the western world. When Motorola Mobility launched its entry-level Android smartphone to compete with other low priced smartphones, nobody expected that it will be such a huge success for Motorola. Now Motorola has launched the Moto E 2nd Generation in the market to compete with low-end smartphone manufacturers like Micromax, Xiaomi and others. The Moto E 2nd Gen is packed with lots of improvement compared to it’s older generation like 8 GB Internal storage, 4.5-inch display, a front facing camera and many more. Now lets get to the point why we are here ; Rooting and Flashing a Custom Recovery on your Moto E 2nd generation :D. First we’ll flash TWRP Custom Recovery using ADB & Fastboot and then will root your device using Custom Recovery.
- This method is only for Motorola Moto E 2015 3G model (Not for LTE version of Moto E 2nd Gen).
- Make sure bootloader of your device is unlocked. If not, follow the instructions given here to unlock bootloader.
- Download and Install USB Drivers for your Moto E 2nd Generation.
- Setup ADB & Fastboot drivers in your PC.
- Create a backup of all your important data.
- Make sure your device is fully charged.
How To Flash TWRP Custom Recovery
- Follow all the instruction given above for safe installation. Make sure USB Drivers are installed, your device is fully charged and create a backup of your important data.
- Setup ADB & Fastboot drivers from the link given in Pre Requisites section.
- After that download TWRP Custom Recovery img file (twrp-otus-2.8.6-test5.img) and move it to C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\ folder in your PC.
- Now in the same folder, press Shift + Right Click and select “Open command window here”.
- Connect your device to PC using USB cable.
- In command prompt, type adb devices in command prompt and hit enter. It will show if your device is detected or not.
- Now type adb reboot bootloader and it will boot your device into bootlaoder mode.
- Make sure TWRP Recovery img is placed in C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\ and type fastboot flash recovery twrp-otus-2.8.6-test4.img and hit Enter button to flash Custom Recovery in your Moto E.
- After flashing TWRP Recovery, type adb reboot and press Enter button to restart your device.
That’s it, TWRP Custom Recovery is successfully flashed in your Moto E 2015.
How To Root Moto E 2nd Generation
- Follow all the instruction given above and make sure TWRP Recovery is installed in your device.
- Download and transfer SuperSu zip file in SD card of your Moto E.
- Turn off your device, press and hold Volume Down key for 2-3 seconds and then press Power key while holding Volume down key. You’ll see some options there, use Volume down to scroll down and select Recovery option by pressing Volume Up key.
- Now you’re in TWRP Custom Recovery mode, Tap on Install and navigate to the folder containing SuperSU zip file and select it. In next step Swipe to confirm flashing of SuperSU zip file.
- Now the flashing process is done, go to main menu of Recovery and tap on Reboot and select System in next step.
That’s it!! Your Moto E 2nd Generation is successfully rooted now.