Samsung Galaxy S6 is the latest flagship smartphone from the Korean giant and part of the popular Galaxy S series. This beast with a 5.1-inch Quad HD 1440 x 2560 resolution had been released on April, 2015. In our last article, we posted about how to root the Samsung Galaxy S6 and the S6 Edge without tripping Knox and using a PC with the help of PingPong Root App. Some things though, need a Custom Recovery with Root to work properly ; like flashing a Custom ROM or some other tweaks.You can also create and restore nandroid backups of your firmware with the help of Custom Recovery. You can easily install a Custom Recovery on your device by following this method step by step. In this method, we’ll use Odin Flash Tool to flash TWRP Custom Recovery image to your device.
- This method is only tested on Samsung Galaxy S6. So don’t try this on any other device.
- Enable USB Debugging in your device.
- You’ll need a Windows based PC or Laptop for this process.
- Download and Install USB Drivers of Samsung Galaxy S6 in your PC.
- Make sure your device is 60% charged minimum.
- Download the TWRP recovery file (with .tar extension) for all S6 models: twrp-220.127.116.11-zeroflte.img.tar, for Sprint S6: twrp-18.104.22.168-zerofltespr.img.tar
How to Install TWRP Recovery in Galaxy S6
- Follow all the instructions given above for safe installation.
- Download Odin3 zip file and TWRP Recovery .tar file in your computer.
- Extract the Odin3 zip file on your desktop.
- Double-click Odin3-v3.10.6.exe to launch the Odin Flash Tool in your PC.
- Now connect your device to PC using USB Cable.
- ID:COM port of Odin will be highlighted blue to show that your device has been detected by Odin.
- After connecting your device, Click the AP button and select the TWRP Recovery .tar file.
- Now click on Options tab in Odin and uncheck the Auto Reboot option.
- Click on the Start button to start the flashing process.
- The installation will take few minutes and you’ll get PASS! message once its completed.
- Now disconnect your device from PC.
TWRP Custom Recovery is successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy S6. If you want to boot your device into Recovery Mode, Hold the Volume Down+Power buttons for about 7 seconds, as soon as the screen turns black, quickly press and hold the Volume Up+Home+Power buttons. Just as the you see the Samsung Galaxy S6 logo, release the Power key but keep the Volume Up+Home buttons pressed until you see a blue screen with Android logo followed by TWRP menu.