Smartwatches are said to be the next big thing in 2014 and some of the major Smartphone manufacturers has already begun the race to build Smart watches. As one among the first, Samsung launched their Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch back in late 2013 and was a perfect match for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
The Samsung Galaxy Gear Android smartwatch had some very impressive hardware specifications like a 800 MHz processor, 512 MB of RAM, 4 GB internal storage space, 1.9 MP autofocus camera, 315 mAh battery, dual microphones, single speaker and was also featured with sensors like an accelerometer and a gyroscope sensor.
Well, if you thought that rooting and installation of custom ROM’s was not possible with the Samsung Galaxy Gear, then you were probably wrong. Because Android ROM developers has already begun developing custom ROM’s for the Samsung Galaxy Gear and today we’re here with a guide on how to install a custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Gear Android Smartwatch.
This custom ROM has many features like:
- A Download Manager.
- AOSP keyboard.
- Contacts and Calender syncing.
- Aroma launcher.
- The ability to pair with multiple devices via Bluetooth.
- Access to Google Play Store.
- Support for Wallpapers and Live Wallpapers.
And many other features and optimizations that will result in better performance, crash fixes and battery optimizations. Overall, installing this custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Gear will nourish your experience with the smartwatch.
- Rooting and installation of custom ROM’s on the Samsung Galaxy Gear is an unauthorized process and hence tends to void the warranty of your product.
- We are not responsible for any damage that might happen during or after completing the tutorial written below. Hence proceed at your own risk only.
- Make sure that you have already rooted your Samsung Galaxy Gear Android Smartwatch.
- Download and install the USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy Gear on your PC.
- Charge up your Samsung Galaxy Gear.
- Download the custom ROM kit from here.
- Download the ODIN tool from here.
How To Install Custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy Gear:
Below is the detailed tutorial on how to install custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy Gear Android Smartwatch:
- Extract the ODIN tool on your PC.
- Now run the ODIN Flash tool from the extracted folder.
- Now reboot your Samsung Galaxy Gear.
- Once you see the rebooting screen, press the Power key 5 times quickly to enter the recovery mode.
- Then enter the download mode by holding the Power key for a couple of seconds.
- Once the Samsung Galaxy Gear enters the Download mode, connect your smartwatch to the PC.
- The ODIN Flash tool must recognize your Smartwatch now.
- Then click on the AP button from the ODIN tool and then choose the ROM folder. Make sure that you’ve not extracted the ROM folder.
- Now the ROM will be installed on your smartwatch.
- Once the ROM installation process is completed, your smartwatch will automatically reboot.
Congratulations, you have now successfully installed a custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Gear Android Smartwatch. If you face any kind of difficulty or error in the above written tutorial, please do mention them as comments below.