The Galaxy Note 3 has been one of the highly covered phones in our blog. From various Lollipop roms like CM 12 (read more about CM 12 on the Note 3 in here), to a Touchwiz port of Lollipop (you can find more info about that ROM in here) the Note 3 has been in constant limelight. However, not everybody wants to flash custom ROMs and some prefer the look of stock Touchwiz. Well, today’s article is for them. We have today from the devs at XDA, how to make the Notification panel transparent on the Note 3.
- Your Galaxy note 3 must be rooted. To know how to root your device, you can check out our blog which has various articles on the Note 3 rooting procedure like this one.
- A basic idea of how XML editing works and a setup to decompile and recompile an apk.
- USB cable and a PC.
- ADB should be installed and running. You can refer to this guide here.
- Root explorer. I personally prefer EFS File explorer you can download it from here.
- A setup to decompile, edit and recompile apks. While the classic setup of APK tool for compiling and decompiling with Notepad++ for editing still holds good, I prefer this new tool called APK Studio. It is a pretty comprehensive solution for those wanting to edit apks and can be found at this link.
With our weapons armed and downloads installed, let’s jump right into the process!
As is with most UI mods our target apk is the SystemUI.apk. Fire up your root explorer app of choice, and navigate to /system/priv-app/SystemUI.apk. We will be editing the XML files of this apk so grab a copy of this apk and head on over to your PC
Let the reverse engineering begin! First things first, proceed to decompile the apk. Done? Now navigate to the decompiled folder, browse to /res/Values.
Then search for
change to transparent or replace as your favourite colour. The below code is for setting it to transparent, you can replace with the hex values of your favourite colour if you so desire!
Save and close the file.
Now the hard part is almost done! Recompile the APK and push to /system/priv-app/SystemUI.apk
Congratulations! You have successfully modded your Notification panel to transparent! For any questions comments or enquiries, leave them in the comment box below!
We leave you now with a screenshot of the finished mod