The Samsung Galaxy Y is a very affordable and very hyped phone of the prior years. But the development of the low end device is still on a good pace so we have the unofficial Update for the Samsung Galaxy Y to get android 4.4 Kitkat. The Samsung Galaxy Y is a very low ranged phone, probably one of the cheapest androids ever offered by Samsung. By Default the Device has the Gingerbread Android that is to be the 2.3.x version. Also The manufacturer has not considered the device to even have JellyBean or ICS update because of the downgraded hardware specifications used.
Google Android 4.4 Kitkat was introduced just recently while keeping low end devices in mind. so it was expected to get an update. But as Samsung Galaxy Y has not been updated officially with an android Kitkat so we are here to help you with the unofficial way to get Android 4.4 on your Samsung Galaxy Y. The thing that pinches me is that companies like Micromax have also confirmed Kitkat for more than 10 devices but Samsung still is far behind.
Pre-Requisites to Update Samsung Galaxy Y to Kitkat
There are a few things that I would like you to take care of before we start with the process.
- You must have a rooted Galaxy Y – Procedure to Root Galaxy Y S5360 and Install CWM Recovery
- Make sure you have a backup of your device, in this case im talking about a full backup for your device.
- Also your device needs to be charged more than 80% as the process can also take longer than expected so to avoid any kind of issue or problems you can be at a safe side by just charging your device.
- Make sure your device Model is GT-S5360. You can confirm this by going into the About Phone in your Settings.
- Make sure you have USB Debugging ON by again going into your settings.
Lets Get to the download section to Update Android Kitkat On your Samsung Galaxy Y.
Downloads required to Update Samsung Galaxy Y
There are a few files you need to download before you can skip to the next section of this post that is the actual updating process.
- Download CWM RECOVERY
- Download CM Kernel
- Download Android 4.4 Kitkat rom.
After downloading just continue to the process to update galaxy Y to android 4.4 Kitkat.
Update Samsung Galaxy Y S5360 to Android 4.4 Kitkat
just follow the process carefully to update your device to android 4.4 Kitkat. Also make sure you read the post thoroughly before you start with the actual process.
- Here we are, Connect your device with your PC where you have downloaded the files.
- Copy all the files into the Memory card of your device. Make sure you dint copy anything into any folder, that is the root directory of your memory card.
- Its time to start with the real process.
- Switch Off your Device.
- Press Volume up+power+Home button all together until you see the Boot Animation.
- Now you have landed into the Recovery Mode of your device.
- Here you can navigate through volume rockers and select by power buttons.
- go to “Install ZIP from SD card”.
- Select CyanogenMod.zip from the list after installing select reboot recovery.
- Format system
- Format Cache.
- Format Dalvik Cache.
- Now again Select Install from SD card and select Android 4.4 Kitkat rom.
- Thats it !
- after installing the ROM. you should make a factory reset from the recvery menu and then select reboot.
- Thats it You will be in an Android 4.4 world the next Moment.
The 1st Boot time may take about 10 minutes so don’t panic and just wait. after this one time, your boot time will go down to normal time.
That’s it you can ask any queries or any doubts before trying this tutorial into the comment sections.